Queer Corner- S1:E3

Omayra Sanchez, Writer

There are many books, tv shows and movies that include the Lgbtq+ community. I don’t read much, but when I do it’s all about the queer stuff. A while ago I started reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan and John Green. This book is great and really gives an input on what queer high schoolers feel. One of the main characters, Will Grayson, is straight and has a gay best friend, Tiny Cooper. The other Will Grayson, is gay and he meets Tiny Cooper. This book tells the tale of figuring yourself out and navigating through high school.  Another great book for my gender non conforming/ gender fluid/ non binary/ etc. people is Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin. This book is amazing and very moving. The main character, Riley, is gender fluid and they talk about dysphoria and what happens to them in high school: making and losing friends, harassment, misgendering, bullying and much more. Jeff Garvin’s writing method really helped me understand what gender fluid means. And how they have to deal with people. Many of you may have seen the movie (or read the book)  Love, Simon, starring Nick Robinson as Simon. In the movie, Simon has to deal with being outed online over winter break. Through the struggles of harassment and bullying at school, and trying to figure out who Blue is, he’s got a lot on his plate. I think this movie has a lot of insight on what it’s like to be queer. These books (and movie) are great models of how high school makes queer kids feel. These are great for queer and non queer students at Overland.