I’m still indecisive

Rayya Hobbs, Reporter

My entire life people have been telling me that I’m indecisive but I’m not sure exactly how I feel about it. Whether or not I am, I know that I’m not the only one. Did you know that about 56% of the world’s population consider themselves to be indecisive? Indecisiveness could be caused by a mental disorder called Aboulomania, a disorder in which the patient suffers from mental derangement by weakened willpower or pathological indecisiveness.

What in our brains causes us to be unsure about minor and major situations? According to Daniel Tranel, a professor of neurology at the University of Iowa, “The patterns of lesions that impair specific tasks showed a very clear separation between those regions of the frontal lobes necessary for controlling behavior, and those necessary for how we give value to choices and how we make decisions.” Hope, an 11th grader at Overland said, that she and her family experience a lot of indecisiveness when they’re faced with different options and varieties of foods or activities. Aboulomania is not genetic but you could be diagnosed with the disease because of the way that you’re raised. For example, according to Exploring Your Mind,  “Children with overprotective parents develop an unhealthy dependency and rely on others to make decisions for them. What’s more, if someone is a victim of humiliation or abandonment during childhood, the chances for Aboulomania increase as shame, strong insecurities, and lack of self-trust can all trigger the condition.”

Have you ever worried that if you make one decision you could miss out on another? To be honest  I have. Like I said in the beginning, my whole life I’ve been told that I’m an indecisive person. Same as Hope, who said, “ Sometimes choices could be really hard to make when your mind is telling you to pick what you’re used to but another part of you is saying to try something new”. According to recent studies, fear is the main cause of decision making, and many feel that if you were to decide something you could miss out on something better. In my opinion, this could be similar to the butterfly effect, which states that every choice that you have affects the future, whether you choose the left path or the right. For example, when I was in 8th grade, I had to make choices that determined who I was, who my friends would be, and how I performed in school. Looking back at my choices then and how they affect me now in 2019, I feel like the choices that I made were pretty great.