Music in The Life of Students

Omayra Sanchez, Reporter

I woke up to The Christmas Song, by Nat King Cole. Many people like it and it’s my personal favorite song for the holiday season. The song was written in 1945. The song was written on a very, very hot summer day in efforts to ‘cool down’ by ‘thinking cool’. The original writer, Robert Wells, stated, if he thought he could shower himself with cold thoughts of winter, he’d be able to cool off. Within just 40 minutes, all the music and lyrics were written. The song was originally recorded in mid-1946. Another recording occurred later in the year. And another in 1953. And yet another in 1961. The original 1946 recording was inducted into the 1974 Grammy Hall of Fame. In 2004, the latest recording was the most loved holiday song with women around 45 years of age. Michael Bublé also recorded the song in 2003. This song is rated number one on the Top Christmas Classic Songs. Also on this day, Dr. G heard an interesting song on the radio. She heard: ‘Another Brick in the Wall’ by Pink Floyd’s “The Wall” album. This song was released in 1979. The song was rated number 384 on the  Rolling Stone’s The 500 Best Songs of All Time. The first lyrics in the song are: “We don’t need no education” referring to the fact that teachers in the school system are putting students in one large group and turning them into clones instead of attending to each of their individual needs. I agree with the overall message of the song. Students feel pressured to be perfect in the eyes of their parents and teachers. Music seems to be a very big part of students’ lives. For concentration, motivation and just for fun.