A Day in the Life of a Senior

Lindsey Johnson, Editor in Chief

The day is December 6th and the first semester of my senior year is about to end. I’ve spent the last few months stressing about college. What am I going to do for the rest of my life? What if my degree doesn’t supply me with enough money to support myself? What if I spend the rest of my life hating everything I’ve done in the past four years, and it was all worth nothing? These questions haunted me throughout my high school career, and especially now because I’m slowly reaching the “rest of my life”. But the struggle of applying to college is coming to an end, and the stress of finding scholarships has begun. It’s difficult to see the pay off that I’m going to receive when I’m not seeing immediate gratification, and this feeling will haunt me for the majority of my life. After spending so much time applying to five college, I finally received emails from my three top schools congratulating me on my acceptance, but how am I supposed to pay for my schooling? According to FAFSA my parents’ salary is too high to be considered for any type of financial aid, which means I’m solely relying on working and scholarships. So far, I have applied to six scholarships, which had taken me a whopping total of four hours. But on December 6th, 2019, I received my first scholarship from my first choice college. When I first opened the envelope that laid on my kitchen counter, the sun had just started to come up. I was about to be late for school, which happens almost every morning because I don’t get home until 6:30pm due to practice, and stay up until 11:00pm doing homework while also being expected to get a full eight to nine hours of sleep. Every. Single. Night. Regardless, I decided to take a moment and open the envelope. To my amazement, I got a scholarship. Although it’s not a life changing full-ride scholarship to Harvard, but it was something. At first I was disappointed. $8,000? That’s it? I was upset. I spent four years of my life participating in every activity, every sport, working a part-time job, and receiving incredible grades in AP/Honors class, just to receive an $8,000 scholarship? But the more I thought about it, the less disappointed I got and the more proud I became. Some students receive $0 in scholarships and have to pay their full tuition, by themselves, with no financial aid or help from family members. So heck ya I spent four years working hard, and heck ya I’m proud of my scholarship.