A Day In The Life Of A Monologue

Vincent Liebchen, A&E Editor

Monologues suck! I know bold statements only in this newspaper but these horrendous tests of acting make my skin crawl at night. The thought of having to memorize a block of text and then say it out loud, in front of people! As you’re memorizing thoughts of self-doubt plague you wondering if the teacher would like this or would they want you to do it like this. Pretending that someone else is there as you stare at your Ferris Bueller poster rambling on about how your husband is a murderer and a horrendous person. That last one may only apply to me but the point still stands. It’s downright despicable how evil these things are.

That’s why I applaud any and everyone who has ever done a monologue before. You just encapsulated acting, memorizing, and public speaking all in a short one minute monologue. That’s like America’s top three fears all wrapped in one convenient little package of despair and procrastination. I especially applaud Mr. Rays acting 1 2a class for bravely and boldly doing their monologues on December sixth.

Ask any actor in the world and they’ll agree that the worst part about acting or theatre class is performing a monologue. There’s immense pressure to do everything perfectly and not look like a fool up there.

The process is simple. Mr. Ray tells everyone they have to do monologues. The class groans and reluctantly goes to pick out a one minute comedic and dramatic monologue. Then two weeks later after practice at home and in-class practice, the performance day comes. The room stands still, the air is stiff, and Mr. Ray is excited to see how well he’s taught his students.

The students’ name is called and they get up, slate, and perform their monologue to the best of their ability. The audience claps and Mr. Ray works the scene with them. Usually, he’ll ask the students to try different tactics or change their moment before or given circumstances. This enhances the scene and it lets the students think about how to attack the piece differently. After that, the student sits down and the cycle begins.

Now you may wonder why I dropped the foreboding and dramatic tone and that’s because when you finally get up there and perform it’s not as bad as you imagined it. It goes quick and most of the time it’s usually painless. Those two minutes that you felt would last for two hours turn into seconds as you lose track of time and become your character. 

That’s when acting is at its best. When you see the actor lose themselves in the role and really become that character. For those two minutes on December 6th, everyone was anyone but themselves.