Homecoming Codes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming Codes

Mr. OHS, Asher Wolf, performing during the competition.

Abigail Mengesha

Abigail Mengesha

Abigail Mengesha

Omayra Sanchez, Writer

What’s can you wear to homecoming? 

Hey fellas. You wanna wear that dress of yours? You can. It says on page 39 of the Student/Parent Handbook, “No student should be affected by dress code enforcement because of… sex assigned at birth, gender identity or expression…”  which means, boys can wear dresses, girls can wear suits. You can wear whatever you want (within the dress code).

What even is the thing with boys and girls clothes?

Enbies (non- binary people) may present as more masculine, and most of society is comfortable with that presentation. However, if an enby presents in a more feminine way, especially if their birth gender is male, people get uncomfortable. In other words, if a boy is just a little more feminine than ‘usual’ then he’s is more likely to be bullied. No one lost it when Zendaya looked cool in a man’s suit, but Harry Styles in a lacy shirt makes him look “gay.” It’s easy to think at open-minded Overland that this would not happen, but even at the O, people get uneasy.  Mr. OHS, senior, Asher Wolf performed in drag during the competition. The audience lost their minds.  Most of them because they were blown away by Wolf’s talent, but some because a boy dressed like a girl.  There is no common sense at play when people protest boys presenting in feminine ways.  It seems that we are fine with “male” clothing only. In fact, it is somewhat sexist to think “female” clothing is the only type of clothing that makes a person “sexy” or inappropriate in any way.  Clothes are simply cloth; they in no way determine who you are. Wear what makes you comfortable.